Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Ask Baba Yaga: I Seek Comfort From Others Because I Am Uncomfortable With Myself

A rare image of Baba Yaga being comforted by a Leshy (Artist sadly unknown)
Although not everyone can, perhaps, relate to the question, Baba's answer however is AMAZINGLY insightful and very useful for those of us who think too much!

This week's question and answer (via poet and oracle Taisia Kitaiskaia* of The Hairpin):
(Originally posted at The Hairpin HERE)

The consensus readers and commenters have had on reading this is basically PLEASE PUT THESE IN A BOOK! WE NEEDS THIS ON OUR BEDSIDE TABLES! (yes - needs with an 's'!) I couldn't agree more:
  • (If) you ever published all of these as a book, it would live on my nightstand and I'd read it every night (Lady Humungus)
  • @Lady Humungus Oh yes indeed. I'd buy lots of copies, too, and I'd just hand them out, without explanation. (stonefruit)
  • Still in love with Baba Yaga. Reminds me of being in India age 4 and climbing into a strange older person's lap who I knew to be vaguely related to me and getting kisses on the crown of my head and strange hard to follow stories involving vegetables, animals and minerals. We'll done! I'll buy the book and hand it out without explanation too.
     MinisterofPretty(MP) 
I, uh... *speechless and hugs screen* My skull-nest is fully twiggled by this wonderful, wonderful chicken-legged form of a hair ruffling. *pats skull to make sure it remained intact after Baba's fingers touched it, surprised to find it is* 

What do you think of Baba Yaga's advice?

Want to ask Baba Yaga a question of your own?
You can!
There's now an email address where you can send your questions
directly to Baba Yaga herself.
AskBabaYaga AT gmail DOT com
To encourage Baba Yaga to continue imparting her no-bones-about-it wisdom (ok, there may be some gristle in there... bones too), I suggest we not to leave her box empty... 

Thank you Baba Yaga (& Taisia).


Taisia Kitaiskaia is a poet, writer, and Michener Center for Writers fellow. Born in Russia and raised in America, she's had her poems and translations published in Narrative Magazine, Poetry International, and others.

1 comment:

  1. I so love this column -- really it is one of my most favorite things here on the blog. Thank you so much...I know where I shall bring all my life questions.

    ReplyDelete