Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Music: Sara Bareilles - "Fairytale"

Especially for fairy tale MOOC participants, this music video concentrates on the problems of princesses (and other fairy tale heroines) attempting to find their modern happily-ever-afters.

Fairytale is by Sara Bareilles from late 2010 and amusingly takes us through onstage transitions (transformations?) from one fairy tale to another while the artist sings about the problems each of the heroines have.

Megan Reichelt of The Dark Forest mirrored my own reaction perfectly on writing this back in 2012 (which I just discovered - I'm so behind on entries!):
The theatre person in me enjoyed the cardboard cut outs and low-tech special effects. The fairy tale scholar in me loved how theater and fairy tales combined to present a woman who was being pushed into various situations where she had no real autonomy. She may not have wanted to be there, but that is where she was expected to be by others. Theater had her being directed, and lead by stage hands from one scenario to the next. The fairy tale aspect presented the idea that fairy tales are how life is "supposed to be," and Sara has to break free from those constructs to become her own person. 

Here's an excerpt from the lyrics:
Fairytale

Cinderella's on her bedroom floor
She's got a crush on the guy at the liquor store
'Cause Mr. Charming don't come home anymore
And she forgets why she came here

Sleeping Beauty's in a foul mood for shame
She says, "None for you, dear Prince, I'm tired today
I'd rather sleep my whole life away
Than have you keep me from dreaming"

'Cause I don't care for your fairytales
You're so worried 'bout the maiden
Though you know she's only waiting
On the next best thing, next best thing

Snow White is doing dishes again
'Cause what else could you do with seven itty-bitty men?
Sends them to bed and she calls up a friend
Says, "Would you meet me at midnight?"

The tall blond lets out a cry of despair
Says, "Would've cut it myself if I knew men could climb hair
I'll have to find another tower somewhere
Keep away from the windows"

'Cause I don't care for your fairytales
You're so worried 'bout the maiden
Though you know she's only waiting
On the next best thing, next best thing


You can read the rest of the lyrics HERE.
I recommend going and catching up on Megan's blog, The Dark Forest. She's a smart (and funny) lady who manages to fit a lot of insight into fairy tales and related news into far fewer words than I can. She's also recently expanded the blog to include myth as well as fairy tale. While she's not able to post every day, her articles are always worth the few days break waiting for the next installment. Go enjoy the awesome. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment