Friday, July 31, 2009

New Rapunzel Concept Art Released

DisneyAnimation.com has just released five new concept art images from the new version of Rapunzel.
From Film: Blogging the Reel World (slashfilm.com):
Previous director Glen Keane (now Executive Producer) developed a new look for this computer animated film, which is said to look and feel more like a traditional hand-drawn Disney Classic, but in 3D. Apparently the film uses a non-photorealistic rendering technique which will make the surface look like it is painted but still containing depth and dimensions. The movie's visual style is (still) being based on French Rococo artist Jean-Honore Fragonard’s painting “The Swing” (this is most apparent in the fifth and last image below).

NOTE: words in parentheses and italics are my additions
Rather than try to rephrase this sentiment, I'll just quote Peter Sciretta (from Film: Blogging the Reel World):
"Hopefully the new non-photorealistic rendering technique employed on this production will help capture some of the painting-like beauty of these pieces."
I couldn't have said it better myself.

3 comments:

  1. This looks lovely! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are pretty. I have complex feelings about Disney fairy tale movies, but I just can't wait to see this one. The painterly aspect to it will make this a must see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gypsy,
    I found you through Dorlana. I was interested in this post beause I have been working on Rapunzel related art and a novel from the POV of the witch for a few years now. I am surprised it took Disney so long to get to it. These images are pretty, as his Sleeping Beauty was so long ago. Though I tend to dread the disneyfication of fairy tales generally.
    Please chcek out my newish blog, Gothic Faery Tales: For the Dark side of Faery Tales. We have a lot in common, including theater, dance, and puppets...
    Cheers!
    Arlene deWinter

    ReplyDelete